10/21/2005

accented silence

I went for that audition this afternoon and was feeling pretty bullish. I'd worked on the RP accent (my natural accent is glasgow) . No real problem. I had initially knocked this project back when A.Gent sent me the script. Smallish part and just another small film that no-one will ever see.

However, A.Gent got back to me saying that it would: be a good networker; that the casting agent was good to know and that the lead guy is a happening french actor whom it would be good to associate with. Okay, okay, i'll do it aleady! I am always happy to take advice. He must see some long-term benefit in it as it's unpaid.

The venue was changed at last minute to the casting director's home. Fair enough. However, it was a pretty remote location. It was well within the metropolis but in london remote does not necessarily mean distant - just inaccessible. Thankfully got there in time.

I rang the bell and was buzzed in. I was greeted by a slightly boss eyed individual who turned out to be TheMan. He was nice enough. However it was slightly disconcerting when talking to him as he appeared to be staring at someone over my shoulder triggering the urge to look around at who was there. Perhaps he sees dead people. The writer was also in attendance and was friendly enough.

The script requires my character to utter two words. For the audition they had composed an expanded script but still barely 5 lines. I proceeded to visualise and enact the scenario at which point TheMan's doorbell proceeded to ring (3 times) and TheMan's mobile (1 time) and TheMan's home telephone (1 time) - all of which he had to deal with as he did not have anyone acting as a receptionist. Consequently there were numerous false starts. I blanked the chaos and think I did well although I'm not so convinced that my audience remained similarly focused. I ran through it in both my natural accent and RP.

"We should know by monday. Thanks for coming." I left.

There was no attempt to sell the project to me. There was no expansion on the anticipated commitment or logistics. Now either I have totally fucked it or they are simply assuming that I will do it if they deign to cast me. Have to confess to being a little confused as A.Gent had led me to believe that I was their first choice prior to their actually meeting me.

So, who knows. Not particularly bothered either way but just feel somewhat under-informed.