11/15/2005

so, what's the hamden?

Hamden Roar - Score. Cor blimey Mary Poppins, yer cockneys don't have a monopoly on this rhyming slang malarky.

Rehearsals on the Catalan thing are underway. It's a satisfying feeling leaving the house with my guitar in hand. Other than when shifting flats my lovely Ovation hasn't got out much over the past 12 years since my band went all Brian Jones on me. His name was Keith actually. A great friend, amazing player and I miss him.

Mixed bag of performers. Touch of the United Nations which is fine although I'm a little concerned that some of the accents are unintelligible - hypocrite! moi?

My main concern has been the lack of focus in rehearsals. A few of my colleagues seem perfectly happy to dilute the concentration by jabbering away when it isn't their 'turn' to speak or to use the rehearsal as a platform to entertain - I suspect that they don't get out much and confuse Playing with playing - bless.

My initial professional experience was strongly Brechtian. There was never any denial that we were actors on a stage but TOTAL focus on what was happening was demanded from EVERYONE involved at ALL times. Not tension - Focus.

I find rehearsals and stand-up gigs are very much like inflating a balloon - all it takes is one little prick...!

Suspect the problem is just me being an up tight prick. It's only a reading after all.

That's one of the main differences I've found between acting in Scotland and down south. Down here there's an obsession with becoming the character and with dogma and with embodying the truth of the piece, in short, with the self - hence the misplaced reverence for Stanislavki's Mythod. In Scotland the obsession is more with the audience and communicating the truth of the piece regardless of the verity of the actor's internal experience - and if in doubt go for the gag! He's behind you!! Neither approach is absolutely right or wrong of course. The Method is just a tool. A hammer is useful - but not for every job.

Anyway, rehearsals are almost done now and I am enjoying playing guitar in public again. Great confidence boost.

I turned S.W.A.T. actor on Sunday! I received a call from a director chum desperate for "a handsome, executive type" at very short notice and I "was perfect for the part" and was I "available in 1 hour?". If I'm perfect why didn't you call me in advance you c*nt? "Go on mate, there's a chinese buffet in it...". Done.

So, it was off down to Angel pausing only in a phone booth to don the external underwear.

Like a trooper I delivered my lines imaculately and emerged from the burning building baby in hand earning my director chum's eternal gratitude - "cheers mate. Rachel! Where's the f*ckin hoi sin...!?"

Coincidentally, I also renewed an aquaintance with a writer on one of our biggest long running TV shows on the shoot. She asked me to send her my CV and headshot! - well, she asked me after I asked her if I could send her my CV and headshot and if she could possibly see her way clear to perhaps dropping it on the casting director's desk, if you'd be so kind, please, thanks a lot. Very good of you. Ta. Would you like another coffee? Tea? Me?

Obviously, my number has come up at fate's deli counter and a huge luxury tub of complementary casting coleslaw is coming my way.

So, now I'm preparing for my forthcoming leading role in the aforementioned drama.

See you at the BAFTAs - losers!